Friday, May 11, 2012

Featured Artist: Won Kyoung Lee

From April 14th, to June 2nd, we present "Refuse/Re-seen" during which we'll focus on individual artists here on our blog.  Today, we're pleased to introduce to you: Won Kyoung Lee



Life 26x26"     2012


My works especially in Fiber are unique in its approach to materials. My place is full of every industrial substance such as plastic, wire, buttons, sewing pins, staples and other fasteners. With these often transparent and reflective materials, I produce simple textiles employing techniques derived from embroidery, weaving, quilting and embellishment to build large pliable “Universe.” My material choices-hard, soft, piercing, fleeting, transparent—chosen and re-directed functional non-precious items-come to stand for our own personal tactile qualities of skin and emotions. My scale of work is magnified to allow the viewer to find oneself surrounded. My work requires discipline and strong work ethic coupled with skill and perseverance of methodical handwork.

Life (detail)  26x26"     2012


www.wonkyounglee.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment