Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Featured Artist: Kaarina Talvila

From April 14th, to June 2nd, we present "Refuse/Re-seen" during which we'll focus on individual artists here on our blog.  Today, we're pleased to introduce to you:  Kaarina Talvila


Bamboo 5x6x2" 2010

I think my previous career in computer mapping can be seen in the precision and exactness of my work, but I also try to emulate the sense of harmony and balance that I value in Japanese craft. My ‘box’ purses are made almost exclusively from reclaimed materials – cardboard, paper shopping bags, bicycle inner tubes – all of which are clothed in fine Japanese and Nepalese handmade papers. In keeping with many traditional Japanese crafts, the end result transcends the humble materials.


Tiger Paper 5x6x2" 2010

My label ‘KOTI’ means ‘home’ in Finnish, which is both a tribute to my Finnish heritage and a reference to where I do my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment