Thursday, May 10, 2012

Featured Artist: John Krynick

From April 14th, to June 2nd, we present "Refuse/Re-seen" during which we'll focus on individual artists here on our blog.  Today, we're pleased to introduce to you:  John Krynick


Paper and Rope 17.5 x 15 x 3 2011

I have a lifelong interest in textiles and cloth making. In the 1990’s I became interested in knitting, conceptually and as a textile structure. I began a series of knitted pieces that explore the idea of cloth as language. I literally knitted letters, friendly chatty letters to people I knew. This led me to consider ideas about the ephemeral and ubiquitous nature of textiles and I started knitting found 19th century texts and lines from film. I was also looking for language used by a previous generation that today could be considered to have some gay reference, “Pansy”, “Queen” or “Fruit”.

These pieces represent some recent explorations in newspaper and found vintage fabrics.


Paper and Rope (detail) 17.5 x 15 x 3 2011

My current work draws on a wide range of interests for inspiration, - ancient textiles, domestic textile history, art history, 19th century science and philosophy as well as my direct interaction as an antiques dealer with folk art and Americana. I want to make textiles that talk about textiles and how they are everywhere and a part of everyone’s experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment