Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Featured Artist: Ruth Tabancay

 From April 14th, to June 2nd, we present "Refuse/Re-seen" during which we'll focus on individual artists here on our blog.  Today, we're pleased to introduce to you:  Ruth Tabancay

Multiply 19"w X 18"h X 2"d 2012
My work with tea bags has two different roots. The first piece came about when my daughter and I drank cups of tea while snuggling under a comforter doing her geometry homework. The accumulated dried tea bags on the windowsill were the beginnings of the first tea bag quilt that captured the intimacy of those moments. The surface of the completed quilt was reminiscent of fields of human tissue or microorganisms as seen microscopically. As a bacteriology major, laboratory technologist, and medical student, I spent many hours absorbed in what I could see through a microscope only to have those images resurface years later and find expression in my art work. A decade later, I continue to use tea bags to explore these two concepts.

Security Blanket 29"w X 39"h x 1"d 2012
 

No comments:

Post a Comment