Monday, March 21, 2011

Featured Artist: Sarah Bucke

During the seven weeks of 'Daily Fiber Intake' we'll focus on individual artists here on our blog. Every week, several artists will be featured. Today, we're pleased to introduce to you: Sarah Bucke.


"Skinbroidery I"

Somewhere between the act of play and the digestion of my surroundings is where I prefer my thoughts to be located. I approach each day with this in mind, and in doing so it becomes an integral part of my work. The materials I chose to work with have their limits, but they can become items of wonder when manipulated by the human hand.  For me, this is the essence of creativity.  I love to see what things can do and how they can appear to an audience, much like the technique of trompe l’oeil where art can “deceive the eye”. Taking this and applying it with cotton, wool, and thread has allowed me to play and respond in ways that I would not otherwise be able to do.

"Skinbroidery II"


My work as a whole is a reaction to the environment, with particular focus on the man-made world. Whatever objects are in my sight become the subject, which I must then translate into fiber materials.  Power lines turn into embroidery floss, gift wrap turns into chain stitches, road signs turn into twill patterns, and suspension bridges turn into sheep’s wool. I tend to work with a large color palette filled with bright, saturated hues. There are some instances, though where I will refrain from it and use a minimal amount of color because sometimes that is all what is needed.  The structures and images I create are not necessarily made to resemble any of the things that I draw inspiration from, but rather they are made to be explored and considered so that others may feel compelled to be makers themselves.

"Skinbroidery III"

No comments:

Post a Comment