Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Featured Artist: Rachel Chambers

During the seven weeks of 'Daily Fiber Intake' we'll focus on individual artists here on our blog. Every week, several artists will be featured. Today, we're pleased to introduce to you: Rachel Chambers.


"3229"

 "3229" Detail

I work in patterns, using repetitive processes, to transform ordinary materials into something more.  Through obsessively mark making, cutting and tying, dividing and gathering, I am deciding what I find most important and what needs a stronger voice.

"3231"
"3231" Detail

With every piece, I reevaluate my idea of repetition.  Beginning with the idea of a repeated motion I find great satisfaction in watching what was once a utilitarian everyday object transform into something that can be incorporated into a greater space.  I also enjoy the dialogue between what I have intended for myself through the piece, with the viewer’s interpretation.  

"One For Each"

"One For Each" Detail

Control is the backbone for pattern.  I feel that I have a better grasp on the concept if I have complete control of my materials and the pattern I am forming.

No comments:

Post a Comment