Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Featured Artist: Tanya Prather

From September 10, to November 5th, we present "Felt So Good" during which we'll focus on individual artists here on our blog.  Today, we're pleased to introduce to you: Tanya Prather

Waterfall
 Artist Statement

Although I’ve worked in many forms of media, I’ve been drawn to fiber in recent years because it engages more of the senses.  It is not only visual, but tactile. Fiber utilizes the same principles of design as other mediums, but the results are manifested through a process that is both planned and organic, and the aspect of texture takes on a much larger role.  My goal with any fiber piece is that it should be so compelling that the viewer not only looks at it, but has an insatiable need to touch and feel it.

Nesting Instinct
Because fiber is often pigeon-holed as craft rather than fine art, I am constantly challenging myself to take it beyond the traditional wall hanging or wearable.  My felting has a tendency to evolve with a 3-D or sculptural quality. 


Emergence
I am fascinated by the endless possibilities of Nuno felting because it allows disparate materials to be fused together seamlessly.  I most often use protein fibers – silk and wool – but sometimes integrate rayon, polyester, linen or cotton when a “found” piece of cloth captures my interest.  I enjoy cutting scraps from old clothing, repurposing things that have been tossed aside – making unlikely matches and marveling at the results.  Recycled cloth provides a broad palette of textures, patterns, colors and weights, and because it comes with a history of its own, I find it more intriguing and thought-provoking than fabric taken off the shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment