Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Featured Artist: Mary Schwarzenberger

From September 10, to November 5th, we present "Felt So Good" during which we'll focus on individual artists here on our blog.  Today, we're pleased to introduce to you: Mary Schwarzenberger

Vortex. Machine and wet felted 17"x25"

Artist Statement

I don’t remember a time when I did not regularly engage in creating things. It seems that I have always had a few projects in progress at a time. Throughout most of my life the need to create has been just as strong as the need to eat and breathe. When bringing creative ideas to life, as decisions and obstacles appear, the brain is always ready with ideas, solutions, and alternatives. After studying language and learning for many years, this whole process is intriguing to me. There is not much I’d rather do than create something!

Vortex, detail. Machine and wet felted 17"x25"

In my fiber art I try to create moods with color that soothe or stimulate. To quote Kaffe Fassett, why use one shade of red when you can use 17? More recently I have been exploring diverse techniques to create texture, from manipulating fabric with a needle felting machine to couching yarns on the surface. The garments I create are designed to provide comfort and create visual statements. It pleases me when they initiate conversations and interactions I would not likely have otherwise engaged in. I am highly influenced by the beauty of the local flora and fauna and I try to incorporate natural themes into my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment