Thursday, November 3, 2011

Featured Artist: Caleigh Stednitz

From September 10, to November 5th, we present "Felt So Good" during which we'll focus on individual artists here on our blog.  Today, we're pleased to introduce to you: Caleigh Stednitz

Mind of a Madman
Artist Statement for “Mind of a Madman”

    In working with the primitive process of felting, I explored less concrete themes of the mind.  Felt is an airy and light material that proves to be durable and protective.  I chose to use felt to create a map of what I believe the mind of a sociopath resembles.  In researching brainwaves and patterns of sociopathic persons, I came across studies that show that sociopaths tend to think in spirals; the thoughts constantly running through their mind until it reaches its acme, which usually leads to an event performed by the person.  Felt allowed me to create an airy and abstract field on which to create a mind map, alluding to the notion of the mind not being a concrete object.  I built up peaks of emotion by felt, embroidered marks representing repeating thoughts, and couched rope to represent the horrific thoughts that lead to unfortunate events. 


Duality of Livestock


Artist Statement for “Duality of Livestock”

    The process of using wool from livestock such as sheep allowed me to explore the duality of the material.  Wool is used to create wearables that offer warmth and protection from the elements.  However in contemplating the usefulness of the material, I began to think about the other uses livestock provide: meats.  It seemed strange to me that something that produces such a soft and cozy material also hangs in a meat freezer, waiting to be fed to consumers.  With the felting process I chose to incorporate these two ideas, illustrating the duality of livestock.  I embroidered abstracted slabs of meat hanging from chains.  This is embroidered on a piece of needle felt.  I chose to hang the piece using hooks to simulate that the piece itself is a slab of meat, with the viewers being consumers.  In doing this, I hoped to create a thoughtful piece that presents both sides to our use of livestock as both something protective and edible.

No comments:

Post a Comment