Saturday, June 18, 2011

Featured Artist: Della Reams

 During the seven weeks of '"Size Matters" we'll focus on individual artists here on our blog. Every week, several artists will be featured. Today, we're pleased to introduce to you: Della Reams

Basra

What’s in a Name?
Arabic Calligraphy Knitted into Fabric
by Della Reams

The memory of an exceptionally beautiful fabric I saw in New York many years ago, sienna-colored and printed with gold Arabic calligraphy, was evoked when I arrived to teach in Qatar.  I became enthralled with the idea of weaving such fabrics on a jacquard loom.  My intent was to have students work with me on the designs.  Unfortunately, I don’t know Arabic and I don’t have a jacquard loom.  So, although the ambition was always there, the means weren’t. 

After seeing the Graphic Design Monogram Project results on the walls of VCUQatar, I realized the motifs, which represent a stylized version of each designer’s name in Arabic, were perfect for textile designs. With permission from the students, I decided to recreate them as knitted fabric designs. 

Aldana


With a black and white printed student design in hand, I adapted each pattern to a grid in the knitting machine design program.  Each stitch represents a large pixel, which was entered by hand.   Some of the designs are large, because the motif is curvy and the pixels are large.  (On a straight grid, it takes more pixels to make a smooth curve than to make a straight line or sharp corner.)  In some cases, I changed the original pattern design to make it more suitable as a fabric repeat.  Then I knitted each design, and in most cases, knitted them again and again to work out kinks in the systems and details of the designs.  After washing, starching and pressing each piece, they were mounted on silk.

The students who contributed to the project in this submission are Aldana Al Kater, Basra Bashir and Muna Al Anssara.

Wearing symbols is already established as a ritual in the Arab world, such as soldiers wearing prayers woven into the fabric closest to their skin, and displaying holy words on one’s automobile.  The custom of asking a noble person for their cast-off clothing, to absorb the powerful spirit, is an example of the energy that is retained in cloth. 
Muna
My work is imbued with the energy of health and spirit.  Using symbols of these aspects visually represents the effect of the increased feeling of wellbeing on the wearer or observer.  The next part of this research is to explore the act of using common blessed Arabic sayings knitted into textile designs.  I will let the creative process guide me forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment