Thursday, June 16, 2011

Featured Artist: Chris Motley

 During the seven weeks of '"Size Matters" we'll focus on individual artists here on our blog. Every week, several artists will be featured. Today, we're pleased to introduce to you: Chris Motley

Indecision

Indecision, side view
 
I explore texture and form with fiber, using the techniques of knitting and fulling.  The process of knitting can itself be a driving force in my art.  Since hand knitting is a slow process, a design concept can emerge as I knit.  Free from any preconceived notion of typical knitted fabric but armed with a lifetime of technique, a piece can emerge from pushing the boundaries of the stitches and I can explore three dimensions.
Second Thoughts
Second Thoughts, side view
A design will emerge as I am knitting, which is itself a meditative process for me.  Alternatively, I see something or have a concept from the real world or in my head, unrelated to yarn at all, that triggers a curiosity to translate it to fiber.  This is the case with the sculptural projects I am currently pursuing which involve body parts, particularly heads, hands and arms.  I knit intuitively and make a new piece just by starting to knit without pre-planning, a wonderful exploration free of the confines of patterns or garments.

Who's There
Who's There, side view

No comments:

Post a Comment