Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Featured Artist: Stacy Hortner

 During the seven weeks of '"Size Matters" we'll focus on individual artists here on our blog. Every week, several artists will be featured. Today, we're pleased to introduce to you: Stacy Hortner

Deep Sea






Artist's Statement:

As a small child, I loved working with my hands. I especially loved the meditative aspects of fine handwork such as embroidery. I continued to embroider most of my adult life until a few years ago when I stopped using the patterns and designs of others. My textile compositions are original. I've had formal training neither as an artist nor as a quilter. Every piece starts out as an experiment and rarely finishes as I at first envisioned it. I love learning about every sewing and surface embellishment technique and giving it expression in a very material way. Whether I embroider traditional pieces or create my mostly abstract, contemporary art quilts, it is all about the journey and the experience of creation.


Deep Sea, detail
 Education:
•    B.A., German Literature, Hiram College, OH
•    M.S., Library and Information Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Upon Layers
 Work:
After working a number of years in academic and public libraries as well as working as a market analyst for a large corporation, I decided to pursue my life's passion - creating art through fiber. Since 2005, I've been creating art quilts on commission for area patrons and have only recently begun showing my quilts in state and national shows.

Upon Layers, Detail
 
Awards:

•    2008 Lake Metroparks Farmpark, Kirtland, OH. Honorable Mention, "Large Wall Hanging, Pieced, Machine Quilted" for "Slient Aspen", 2008
•    2007 Lake Metroparks Farmpark, Kirtland, OH. 2nd place, "Small Mixed Techniques" for "Going in Circles", 2007


Exhibitions:

•    2010, Lehigh Valley Arts Council, Allentown, Sept - Oct.
•    2010, The Gallery at the Allentown Jewish Community Center, July 15 - August 30
•    2008 Denver National Quilt Festival, Denver, CO May 1 - May 4
•    2008 Lake Metroparks Farmpark, Kirtland, OH Feb 8 - March 19
•    2007 Pennsylvania National Quilt Extravaganza XIV, Harrisburg, PA "Silent Aspen" and "I Never Promised you a Rose Garden", Sept. 6 - Sept. 9
•    2007 Lake Metroparks Farmpark, Kirtland, OH Feb 9 - March 21


Memberships:
•    Studio Art Quilts Association, 2007- present
•    Explorers, a fiber artists' group (NY/NJ/PA), 2008 - present
•    Lehigh Valley Arts Council, 2009- present
•    Lehigh Valley Embroiderer’s Guild, 2009- present


Publications:

I was interviewed for and my work appeared in the following articles:
•    Vehslage, Carolyn Lee, "Have you ever been approached to do a commission?" SAQA Journal 19.3 (2009): 6-11
•    The Lehigh Valley Jewish Newspaper, Hakol, April, 2010 (featured in "Homes" section)
•    The Lehigh Valley Arts Council Newsletter, "Inside the Arts: Featured Artist", Sept/Oct 2010




No comments:

Post a Comment