As a small child, I loved working with my hands. I especially loved the meditative aspects of fine handwork such as embroidery. I continued to embroider most of my adult life until a few years ago when I stopped using the patterns and designs of others. My textile compositions are original. I've had formal training neither as an artist nor as a quilter. Every piece starts out as an experiment and rarely finishes as I at first envisioned it. I love learning about every sewing and surface embellishment technique and giving it expression in a very material way. Whether I embroider traditional pieces or create my mostly abstract, contemporary art quilts, it is all about the journey and the experience of creation.
|Deep Sea, detail|
• B.A., German Literature, Hiram College, OH
• M.S., Library and Information Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
After working a number of years in academic and public libraries as well as working as a market analyst for a large corporation, I decided to pursue my life's passion - creating art through fiber. Since 2005, I've been creating art quilts on commission for area patrons and have only recently begun showing my quilts in state and national shows.
|Upon Layers, Detail|
• 2008 Lake Metroparks Farmpark, Kirtland, OH. Honorable Mention, "Large Wall Hanging, Pieced, Machine Quilted" for "Slient Aspen", 2008
• 2007 Lake Metroparks Farmpark, Kirtland, OH. 2nd place, "Small Mixed Techniques" for "Going in Circles", 2007
• 2010, Lehigh Valley Arts Council, Allentown, Sept - Oct.
• 2010, The Gallery at the Allentown Jewish Community Center, July 15 - August 30
• 2008 Denver National Quilt Festival, Denver, CO May 1 - May 4
• 2008 Lake Metroparks Farmpark, Kirtland, OH Feb 8 - March 19
• 2007 Pennsylvania National Quilt Extravaganza XIV, Harrisburg, PA "Silent Aspen" and "I Never Promised you a Rose Garden", Sept. 6 - Sept. 9
• 2007 Lake Metroparks Farmpark, Kirtland, OH Feb 9 - March 21
• Studio Art Quilts Association, 2007- present
• Explorers, a fiber artists' group (NY/NJ/PA), 2008 - present
• Lehigh Valley Arts Council, 2009- present
• Lehigh Valley Embroiderer’s Guild, 2009- present
I was interviewed for and my work appeared in the following articles:
• Vehslage, Carolyn Lee, "Have you ever been approached to do a commission?" SAQA Journal 19.3 (2009): 6-11
• The Lehigh Valley Jewish Newspaper, Hakol, April, 2010 (featured in "Homes" section)
• The Lehigh Valley Arts Council Newsletter, "Inside the Arts: Featured Artist", Sept/Oct 2010