Saturday, May 21, 2011

Featured Artist: Dianne Vottero Dockery

3 Hole Punch I, 2011
     

My life as an artist began early.  My tools: a box of contè crayons inherited from my artist uncle and recycled butcher’s paper from my grandmother’s kitchen.  At age three, I rose early and claimed the vacant kitchen table where I drew to my heart’s content. 

     Decades later, fibers have replaced the crayons.  The choice of fibers as a medium challenges me to step away from the photo-realism I am able to achieve with paint or pastels, reducing reality to graphic interpretation.  However, I do approach the medium much like a painter who chooses and arranges colors on a palette, preparing for the marriage of color, form, and texture to surface. 
3 Hole Punch II, 2011

     I am fortunate to have been given acute sensitivity and eyes that see the beauty in shapes, textures, and colors that often go unnoticed by the average passerby.    If the art I make stirs the viewer to a higher awareness and appreciation of the world around them, then I humbly consider myself to be successful as an artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment