Monday, May 23, 2011

Featured Artist: Patricia Doran

 During the seven weeks of '"Size Matters" we'll focus on individual artists here on our blog. Every week, several artists will be featured. Today, we're pleased to introduce to you: Patricia Doran

Pennsylvania Past
       I spent my working life as a librarian, but I spent my leisure time with fiber. I explored weaving, embroidery, beading, and quilting in my leisure time. Pursuing these hobbies helped me to look at the world from a different perspective, to appreciate long hours of slow and thoughtful creation. In those years I developed perception as well as skills.

     Now that I am retired I can devote more time to developing skills and discovering a point of view in the pieces I make. I like to look at my surroundings and skew them from a different angle or to make a work centered on an unnoticed piece of an everyday scene. I often work with scenes from nature and I sometimes use natural items in my pieces. I enjoy using many forms of embellishment on one piece.
Pennsylvania Future

     The pieces which I have submitted to "some things looming" are an integrated pair depicting changing nature. Our dynamic world is changing. Mankind’s intervention with that world certainly affects the change, but to what extent?
                                                                                                                                                                                                              
     “Pennsylvania Past” is a woven piece to which I have added machine and hand embroidery as well as fabric embellishments. “Pennsylvania Future” was first dyed and painted. Machine embroidery and added natural elements were then added to the piece.      

No comments:

Post a Comment