Friday, September 28, 2012

Featured Artist: Linda Laird


During the six weeks of 'Black White Red' we'll focus on individual artists here on our blog. Every week, several artists will be featured. Today, we're pleased to introduce to you: Linda Laird

And While We Sleep
Commercial cottons,
linen, and synthetics;
machine applique and
embroidery
35" x 29"

Piece Statement:
This quotation is from the ancient Greek playwright Aeschylus.  Robert Kennedy recited it from memory while speaking to a group of African-Americans on the night in 1968 that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was killed.  Kennedy himself would be killed about 2 months later.  This quotation becomes more meaningful with every passing day.

And While We Sleep
Commercial cottons,
linen, and synthetics;
machine applique and
embroidery
35" x 29"

Artist Statement:
I make art to express emotions, and to tell stories.  I use fibers and fabrics because of their wonderful flexibility and infinite variety of color, pattern, and texture.  If I could figure how to put scent, flavor, and sound into my work, I’d have all the senses covered.  I’m working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment