Thursday, October 6, 2011

Marjorie Fedyszyn

From September 10, to November 5th, we present "Felt So Good" during which we'll focus on individual artists here on our blog.  Today, we're pleased to introduce to you: Marjorie Fedyszyn


Stuck in Montana I, Primordial Felt, Stuck in Montana II
Stuck in Montana I
 Artist Statement:

The spark of creativity and expressing myself through my hands has run deep within me for as long as I can remember. The natural world around me continues to feed my spirit. When I discovered the wet felting process a whole world opened up to me. The metamorphosis from soft and fluffy wool to strong and durable felt through hard work and agitation never ceases to fascinate me. Through felting I have discovered the melding of the natural world with all the technical skills and knowledge I have obtained throughout my life. My work in felt satisfies the “no rules” side of my character while feeding my tactile, visual and exploratory disposition. Each new work provides me with questions needing answers and problems needing solutions.

Primordial Felt
Stuck in Montana II
The themes I am most drawn to are nature related. This current body of work was initiated while on a vacation in Montana. I was heavily influenced by my environment and the materials that were presented to me on our hikes. Collecting the plant and animal matter that came home on our socks or fell from the trees as I worked outside provided new materials to explore. I then incorporated these elements into the samples I created which led me to the works I have submitted.  The integration of leather and other elements into the wool is a process I have been examining for some time. These pieces are a launching pad for larger works I am still developing.

No comments:

Post a Comment