Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Anna Kristina Goransson

From September 10, to November 5th, we present "Felt So Good" during which we'll focus on individual artists here on our blog.  Today, we're pleased to introduce to you: Anna Kristina Goransson



Growing,  Handfelted and woven merino 44"x22"


Artist Statement

My work has grown out of my fascination with the forested world of my childhood in northern Sweden, along with my intense observation of the natural world that surrounds me. I long for moments that I have experienced in this world and my work focuses on abstracting these moments, bringing new meaning to a seemingly ordinary occurrence. I am inspired by the structures of nature, whether it is the pattern that lichens create on a rock or leaf structures overlapping above my head.

Growth:  Handfelted and dyed merino 40"x40"
Felting is the perfect technique to convey my thoughts. The softness and durability of wool enables me to create dimensional forms that reflect the fragility and strength of nature. Dying wool creates saturated colors that evoke the fantasy quality of the environment I am recreating. Light is absorbed and makes the felted forms shine, much like the natural world.


Anna Kristina Goransson is one of three artists exhibiting in our gallery whose work has been featured in the book, 500 Felt Objects.


No comments:

Post a Comment