Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Featured Artist: Sophie Sanders

During the eight weeks of 'simply irRESISTible' we'll focus on individual artists here on our blog. Every week, three artists will be featured. Today, we're pleased to introduce to you: Sophie Sanders from Philadelphia, PA.


Rhythm, Re-presentation, and Remembrance

About the Piece: My multimedia installation "Rhythm, Re-presentation, and Remembrance,"" mimics the form of a monumental West African drum (a djembe). It celebrates the drum as a symbol of our most essential form of music, and one that is closest to the human heart beat. Using influence from West African textiles, I tie dyed the silk ""skins"" with patterns and layered them with images of dancers. A sound element inside the installation includes music and spoken word by dancers, musicians, and members of my family and community.

Rhythm, Re-presentation, and Remembrance, detail



Rhythm, Re-presentation, and Remembrance, detail


Artist Statement/Biography: Using a blade as my paintbrush, I cut and collage textile images in a process which I call "textured fabric relief." In these works, I translate movement, rhythm, and emotion from my study of African dances into painted and incised gestures.

In a variety of visual media, I am exploring aspects of layered identity and constructs of beauty, which are inherent problems in figurative art.

www.sophiesanders.com

sophiesanders@earthlink.net


No comments:

Post a Comment