Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Featured Artist: Claire Marcus

During the six weeks of 'Black White Red' we'll focus on individual artists here on our blog. Every week, several artists will be featured. Today, we're pleased to introduce to you: Claire Marcus 


Karori Rose
Repurposed Heirloom
Handkerchiefs
stitched w/
vintage button
20" x 20"


KARORI ROSE
 is part of a mixed-media series that addresses my family history.  I used my grandmother's  vintage handkerchiefs to create a piece that recalls my grandfather's skill as a gardener.  The piece is named for the Karori section of Wellington, New Zealand, where my family lived during World War II. By my grandmother's account, the plants my grandfather raised were "bowed over with blooms", and provided some respite from the stresses of wartime life. 






Karori Rose, detail
Repurposed Heirloom
Handkerchiefs
stitched w/
vintage button
20" x 20"
Artist Statement:
My work is created in series with processes including painting, drawing, and photography printed on silk, stitched with found objects. It reflects my background as a fifth generation fiber artist, synthesizing family heritage with training in painting, architecture, and design, based on nature and landscape studies.  I have special interests in the structure of land- and cityscape, and its power to evoke memory and narrative, as well as the interaction of built and natural environment.

All aspects of my work have been exhibited or published. Recent exhibits include the FiberPhiladelphia  show REFUSE/re-seen at some things looming in Reading; a solo exhibit at the Monroe County Bar Association in Stroudsburg, which included works from my current Golden Door series inspired by my life and family history in New York City; and  a third participation in the New Arts Program Small Works Invitational in Kutztown.

As an artist in education for the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts since 1998, I have conducted community arts projects, K – 12 residencies, and professional development seminars addressing the needs of diverse populations, including adjudicated youth.  Many of these programs result in permanent installations created by the participants for the host site.

www.ClaireMarcusFineArts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment