Monday, October 8, 2012

Featured Artist: Chris Motley

During the six weeks of 'Black White Red' we'll focus on individual artists here on our blog. Every week, several artists will be featured. Today, we're pleased to introduce to you:  Chris Motley


Paths
wool/knit, fulled,
sewn/embroidered
7" x 17"
‘Paths’ is a piece derived from the knitting process itself.  I knit intuitively and a desire to explore shape and color as well as their juxtaposition can emerge while I am knitting. The knitting of very subtle gradations of color challenged me to explore the bold combination of black white and red and ‘Paths’ emerged.



Paths, detail
wool/knit, fulled,
sewn/embroidered
7" x 17"
Steps
wool/knit, fulled,
sewn/embroidered
18.5" x 10"



‘Steps’ is a piece derived from the knitting process itself.  I knit intuitively and a desire to explore shape and color as well as their juxtaposition can emerge while I am knitting. Knitting very subtle gradations of color challenged me to explore the bold combination of black, white and red;  ‘Steps’ emerged.
Steps, detail
wool/knit, fulled,
sewn/embroidered
18.5" x 10"
Artist Statement

I explore texture and form with fiber, using the techniques of knitting and fulling.  The process of knitting can itself be a driving force in my art.  Since hand knitting is a slow process, a design concept can emerge as I knit.  Free from any preconceived notion of typical knitted fabric but armed with a lifetime of technique, a piece can emerge from pushing the boundaries of the stitches and I can explore three dimensions

A design will emerge as I am knitting, which is itself a meditative process for me.  Alternatively, I see something or have a concept from the real world or in my head, unrelated to yarn at all, that triggers a curiosity to translate it to fiber.  This is the case with my  sculptural projects which involve body parts, particularly heads, hands and arms. The knitting process itself has also branched into studies of forms and colors, which I am currently enjoying.  I knit intuitively and make a new piece just by starting to knit without pre-planning, a wonderful exploration free of the confines of patterns or garments. This use of  of my life-long avocation of knitting and felting as my medium for creation is also a wonderful grant of freedom after 30 years in a left-brain job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment