Monday, September 19, 2011

Featured Artist: Jacqueline Arbaugh

From September 10, to November 5th, we present "Felt So Good" during which we'll focus on individual artists here on our blog.  Today, we're pleased to introduce to you: Jacqueline Arbaugh

Art in My Heart

“Art in my Heart” is a sculptural creation constructed from wool felt to simulate a hanging human heart. I chose to represent a human heart because it is a significant vital organ that is commonly used to represent both life and passion. My passion for art is connected to my physical heritage. The bleeding strands that include purple colored felt are intended to symbolize the artistic qualities that run through my family and myself. The material of wool reflects the bodily nature of the subject matter. This representation emphasizes the motion of hanging and bleeding.
Art in My Heart

This piece was inspired by fiber art that I viewed at the Tate Modern in England, entitled Abakan Orange by Magdalena Abakanowicz. Because of this inspiration, I have included red fabric throughout my sculpture that I acquired while residing in England. I was inspired by the visual hanging format of Abakan Orange, but applied the simulated dripping action to a more personal context.

Art in My Heart, detail
 
Other artists that inspire my work include Louise Bourgeouis, Helen Chadwick, and Rebecca Horn. I am drawn to artwork that connects the human body with narrative or emotion. I typically work in various mediums, including ink and collage, and recently have found mixed media outlets of art creation. I hope to include fiber with mixed media in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment