Sunday, April 17, 2011

Featured Artist: Kristina Woodall

During the seven weeks of 'Daily Fiber Intake' we'll focus on individual artists here on our blog. Every week, several artists will be featured. Today, we're pleased to introduce to you: Kristina Woodall.


"Felt Brain Map Embroidery"

Ever since I was a little kid I knew that I wanted to be an artist. It all started with a crayon and coloring book. This eventually transformed into using a needle and thread, coloring in the lines that I stitched. Over time, I found that art was not just fun but a great way to express myself and voice my opinions. My work is usually lighthearted. I try not to take things to seriously and that can be seen through my imagery.  The messages and stories that I share are usually about my life experiences or thoughts. I also tend to relate many ideas to those experienced with my family and friends. 

College gave me the chance to explore many different mediums. Very quickly my interest in Fibers became clear.  I was first introduced to embroidery. I learned the simplest of stitches and from there I knew it was something I wanted to pursue. I was fascinated by  the way I could  create various textures by using the same types of material. I loved the transformation that a piece of thread goes through from an ordinary object into a work of art. Fiber Arts brings a whole new aspect and detail to my work. It comes alive with every stitch!


"Felt Brain Map Embroidery" Detail 

No comments:

Post a Comment