Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Featured Artist: Ayn Hanna

During the eight weeks of 'simply irRESISTible' we'll focus on individual artists here on our blog. Every week, three artists will be featured. Today, we're pleased to introduce to you: Ayn Hanna from Ft Collins, CO.

Tangled Web #1

About the pieces: I started these tangled web textile paintings in early 2010. They emerged as I was doodling and day dreaming and they have been another exploration of techniques – resists, fabric paints, and paint sticks. I created the “webbed” imagery through application of multiple layers of resists (both painted on and physical objects laid on) and fabric paints as well as paint sticks. I didn’t take any in-process photos as I was too wrapped up in “the doing” and forgot to, but I think I’ll have more opportunity to do so in the future because this technique seemed so natural to me, I’m sure I’ll be doing more with it. I like the contrast of the rich textured dark painted/resisted web drawings with the subtle light valued, airy border fabric which are pieces of my own hand-dyed fabric.

With these pieces especially, I am discovering that the imagery and “feel” or idea I have of my emerging subject matter seems to drive the techniques for realization of the finished work. Each piece becomes what it needs to be. I have completed 2 (Tangled Webs #1 and #4) of the initial 4 pieces in the series, and I’m still working through my own understanding of them, but they are very intriguing to me, and have some importance. They are in some ways a parallel to what I’m feeling with my career right now too. I have many questions that I am contemplating right now and I am feeling my way to discovering my next self.

Tangled Web #4

Artist Statement/Biography: From as early as I can remember, I've always loved to draw, paint, and make marks. I am attracted to artwork that shows the artist's hand - drawing is a very important aspect of my work. The physical kinetic process of making things and seeing a work develop form my own hands is also very pleasing to me.

I enjoy learning and working in multiple mediums - clay and wood sculpture, fine art printmaking such as etching and woodcut, artist books, and most recently, art quilting. Working in one medium often informs or suggests ideas to be realized in another medium. I am currently experimenting with ways to combine some of my printmaking processes and effects (including resist techniques) with the textile medium, bringing the kind of mark-making associated with printmaking to my art quilts.

My work is inspired first by strong visual elements and then, by uncovering more of my own thoughts and feelings about the subject, as I play with the medium and processes to achieve a finished work. Each new piece generates more ideas to explore within the process and also helps me learn more about myself.

---------------------

Ayn is a printmaker and textile artist. Her subject matter includes imagery from the natural world as well as abstract compositions informed by her dreams. She achieves a sense of wholeness in her expression by including personal imagery from both her external and internal world. Her work is an exploration of media and processes as well as ideas, with the underlying elements of strong composition, rich texture, layers, patterns, and color as foundational supports.

Formally trained as a professional fine art printer, Ayn began exploring the textile medium in 2005, when she was first introduced to art quilting/textile painting. She is currently focusing on art quilting/textile painting while experimenting with bringing some of the processes of her printmaking background to the textile medium.

Ayn was born and raised in the Midwest and moved to Colorado to attend college. She earned both a BFA in Graphic Design and a MFA degree in Printmaking and Sculpture from Colorado State University. After graduate school, she moved to New York City, and spent several years working as a professional Fine Art Printer in a Master Printmaking Studio, making etching prints with many accomplished contemporary artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment