Saturday, October 1, 2011

Featured Artist: Anne Vickrey Evans

From September 10, to November 5th, we present "Felt So Good" during which we'll focus on individual artists here on our blog.  Today, we're pleased to introduce to you: Anne Vickrey Evans

Coral Vase

    I have been making felt for 28 years because it is a satisfying craft that allows unbounded creative freedom. Creating a work of felt art starts with arranging the materials - wool and sometimes fabric - then using soap and water, the materials are worked with the hands to felt, full and shape the finished piece. Feltmaking is very labor intensive so using a rolling machine frees me from most of the labor to allow me to place more emphasis on the creative process.


Golden Shawl
I include silk, fabrics threads and other materials with various wool types in my hand made felt. I dye most of the wools, fabrics and silks that I use in my work. I use a variety of techniques to form the felt including hand rolling, needle felting and using a rolling machine for feltmaking. I continue to test the limits of feltmaking and I am currently experimenting with surface design techniques in wearables, wall hangings and three-dimensional vessels.

No comments:

Post a Comment