Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Featured Artist: Elaine Hines Millar

During the seven weeks of '"Size Matters" we'll focus on individual artists here on our blog. Every week, several artists will be featured. Today, we're pleased to introduce to you: Elaine Hines Millar





Artist Statement

I am a fiber artist with a propensity for strong line and strong color. This is evidenced in my work. Inspiration stems from the world around me, whether it is natural or man-made. Either architecture or a rain forest can equally enthuse me.

In order to make sense of an idea, I often first develop it digitally within the confines of Photoshop or Illustrator, working through focus and balance issues and then trying on various colorings. This provides me with a strong beginning from which to choose the materials I will ultimately use. 

I work in fiber because I am totally tactile and love the various textures that fibers produce. I use a combination of materials, preferring hand dyed cloth and almost always including elements of screen printing.



Artist Biography

Elaine Millar was raised in St Louis, Missouri, where she received a BA degree from The University of Missouri-St Louis and an MBA from Washington University.  She worked in the corporate world for 20 years before seeking an early retirement to pursue other interests.

Her fiber journey began in 1993 and has expanded from traditional quilt making to her present pursuits.

She has been published in the Quilter’s Newsletter and Quilt Japan magazines.

2 comments: