Monday, October 25, 2010

Featured Artist: Constance Rose

During the eight weeks of 'simply irRESISTible' we'll focus on individual artists here on our blog. Every week, three artists will be featured. Today, we're pleased to introduce to you: Constance Rose from Fortuna, CA.

Urban Ikat

About the piece: This quilt was the outgrowth of an experiment I did last fall, doing several shibori dye baths with different Dharma Procion Black dyes. The variations in the dyed colors -- greenish, bluer, blacker -- are the effects of different dyes. I'm also very attracted to Ikat, and I've woven fabric with painted warp Ikat designs. The long strips of the dyed fabrics reminded me so much of Ikat, that the quilt feels like a new take on the concept.

Urban Ikat, detail


Going in Circles

About the Piece: I love discharged fabrics and I love working monochromatically. After printing the digital image of rolls of paper on fabric, this quilt practically begged to be made. I really wanted the central image to really pop, and beading was the way to do that. The beading took far longer than the quilting, but the piece wouldn't be the same without the addition of those stunning glass beads.


Going in Circles, detail

Artist Statement/Biography: Texture excites me - both the way fiber surfaces feel to the touch, and the visual orchestration of pattern, color, line, shape, and form. As a surface designer, I am highly intrigued with the serendipitous patterns created on fabric by dyeing, printing, and discharging. The foundations of my studio quilting are working with wholecloth fabrics, or with stitched or digitally printed fabrics. I am fascinated with overall graphic patterns that make a statement or have a bold presence. I lean toward to muted colors and asymmetrical shapes that evoke the organic natural world.

My inspirations include the natural world, the florescence of Art Nouveau and Victoriana, the stylized and repetitive geometrics of Art Deco and ancient Egyptian designs, Native American and ethnic tribal patterns, and the Arts & Crafts and Craftsman styles in functional and decorative arts and architecture.

www.constancerosedesigns.com

www.constancerosedesigns.blogspot.com

connierose0218@att.net



No comments:

Post a Comment